RISING DAMP AND PENETRATING DAMP
Moisture rising up a wall or “rising damp”, sometimes also known as salt damp, often occurs at the base of a wall. This is due to the capillary action of the brickwork ‘wicking’ up moisture from around the base of the wall. EPL Waterproof & Structural Solutions has documented projects where the rising damp has travelled vertically over 3 metres.
Penetrating damp is where moisture penetrates though a wall from the outside. Rising and penetrating damp can be caused by many reasons including leaking pipes, poor ventilation or inadequate drainage. However, most causes of excessive damp in a building are due to design or modifications to the building and surrounding grounds.
Signs of rising and penetrating damp are;
* Damp patches that start at the base of a wall
* Skirting boards or plaster that is damp or rotting
* Tiles, carpet or floor coverings are damp, wet, lifting or mouldy
* Peeling paint and wallpaper
* Damp musty smell
* Walls, floors and ceilings that feel cold or damp
* Mould or mildew on walls, floors and ceilings
Solutions for rising damp include;
* Allowing adequate air-flow to remove the moisture laden air from the room
* Removing dirt and leaf matter from around the base of the house
* Clearing blocked building vents
More technical solutions can include injecting application-specific materials into the area, curtain injection of the outside of wall from inside, building modifications, sub-floor ventilation, and negative-side waterproofing.
We have extensive experience in providing common sense solutions for rising damp and penetrating damp mitigation, and waterproofing solutions for all applications.
Concrete & Structural
Leak Detection & Reporting
Rising Damp & Penetrating Damp
Protective Coatings & Membranes
Retaining Walls & Below Ground Waterproofing
Planter Boxes & Rooftop Gardens
Concrete Cancer / Spalling
Inspections Reporting & Insurance
Water & Storage Tank Repairs
Water Features, Waterfalls, Water Landscapes & Ponds